Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

...And Just What is ‘Batabano’?





Though I missed out on my usual Cinco de Mayo celebrations in the U.S., my current place of residence - the Cayman Islands - did not let me down! Saturday was the kickoff for the island’s annual ‘Batabano’ celebration.

Now I have had the pleasure of going to Carnival in the U.S. Virgin Islands before so I thought I had some idea of what to expect. But let me tell you – Batabano definitely has its own unique flair! Batabano is a celebration every May that highlights the island’s culture and pays homage to their wildlife heritage steeped in turtle farming. The festivities last all month long with a bevy of activities including concerts featuring a number of reggae and dancehall artists, a food festival, and a masquerade ball to name a few.

Artistically, the 2012 Batabano street parade included some of the most beautiful and unique costumes of any island carnival I have ever attended. In addition, youth ages 13 and up were able to participate making the festival feel very family oriented, unlike may island carnivals that… Ahem… can get a bit outrageous for younger eyes. Click on: caymancarnival.com to learn more about Cayman’s Batabano Cultural celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment